Film Fest Ghent honours film composers with album ‘World Soundtrack Awards: Tribute to the Film Composer’
To celebrate the twentieth anniversary of the World Soundtrack Awards, Film Fest Ghent devotes its annual album to all thirteen winners of the coveted World Soundtrack Film Composer of the Year Award over the past two decades. The album will be released on 23 October 2020 and is called World Soundtrack Awards: Tribute to the Film Composer. Just as WSA’s previous albums, the music is performed by Brussels Philharmonic and conducted by maestro Dirk Brossé.
On 24 October 2020 the twentieth World Soundtrack Awards will take place. In honour of this anniversary, Film Fest Ghent presents a unique album. World Soundtrack Awards: Tribute to the Film Composer features newly recorded pieces by all winners of the Film Composer of the Year Award. In the past, this award was won by Angelo Badalamenti, Nicholas Britell, Carter Burwell, Mychael Danna, Alexandre Desplat, Patrick Doyle, Michael Giacchino, Elliot Goldenthal, James Newton Howard, Alberto Iglesias, Jóhann Jóhannsson, John Williams and Gabriel Yared. To do justice to their legacy, the Brussels Philharmonic, Vlaams Radiokoor and maestro Dirk Brossé went to Flagey’s legendary Studio 4 in Brussels.
As a tribute to these masters of film music, this album goes the extra mile, featuring, almost exclusively, studio recordings of pieces and arrangements that have never before been released on CD. This includes concert suites, such as Desplat’s The Imitation Game and Giacchino’s Star Trek, into Darkness and Beyond, and special orchestral arrangements, such as Badalamenti’s The Voice of Love from Twin Peaks and Doyle’s Never Forget from Murder on the Orient Express. This album also features the premiere release of music for Fear by Carter Burwell and Troy by 2020 WSA Lifetime Achievement Award winner Gabriel Yared.
Two remarkable bonus tracks bookend the album: the premiere release of the World Soundtrack Awards Fanfare, written by Elmer Bernstein especially for the awards ceremony, and Tribute to the Film Composer, a fabulous homage arranged by John Williams that brings together no less than 23 different Oscar-winning or Oscar-nominated film themes.
Tracklist ‘World Soundtrack Awards: Tribute to the Film Composer’
1. World Soundtrack Awards Fanfare (Elmer Bernstein)
2. Red Sparrow Overture (James Newton Howard)
3. Fear – Main Title (Carter Burwell)
4. Hable con ella – Soy Marco (Alberto Iglesias)
5. Cobb (Suite) – The Homecoming (Elliot Goldenthal)
6. Troy (Suite) (Gabriel Yared)
7. When at Last the Wind Lulled (Jóhann Jóhannsson & Rutger Hoedemaekers)
8. Hook – The Face of Pan (John Williams)
9. Succession (Suite) (Nicholas Britell)
10. Monsoon Wedding (Suite) (Mychael Danna)
11. The Imitation Game (Suite) (Alexandre Desplat)
12. Murder on the Orient Express – Never Forget (Instrumental Version) (Patrick Doyle)
13. Star Trek, into Darkness and Beyond (Suite) (Michael Giacchino)
14. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me – The Voice of Love (Angelo Badalamenti)
15. Tribute to the Film Composer (John Williams, arr.)
The album is licensed to Silva Screen Records and recorded by MotorMusic.
Pre-order your copy via shop.filmfestival.be for €20. The album’s release is set for 23 October 2020.
Register here and follow the World Soundtrack Awards livestream for free from the comfort of your own sofa!
Stay up to date, subscribe to our newsletter
Do you want to stay up to date with festival news, our year-round activities, the films and the filmmakers?