Get ready for the musical highlight of Film Fest Ghent. The World Soundtrack Awards are an unforgettable night accompanied by big smiles, goosebumps and - of course - music. The WSA gala is traditionally the closing event of Film Fest Gent.
Share this project
The World Soundtrack Awards are the most important film music prizes in the world. The awards ceremony takes place during the annual WSA Gala & Concert at Film Fest Gent. The 20th anniversary edition of the World Soundtrack Awards will be an online livestreamed edition. The audience can follow the ceremony and concert via our website (homepage).
Film Fest Gent is an important player in the international film world. The festival has gained this position in part because of its focus on film music. The individuals behind the film soundtrack often stay in the shadows. To put a spotlight on music in films and the film composer's role, the World Soundtrack Awards and the World Soundtrack Academy were founded in 2001. The Academy organises and oversees the educational, cultural and professional aspects of the art of film music, including the preservation of the history of the soundtrack and its worldwide promotion - the latter through the presentation of awards as well as through the development of several other promotional initiatives.
The Academy actively contributes to film music education through organising seminars, workshops and master classes, as well as through developing an archive and publications.
The Awards are organised with the purpose of recognising the achievements of film composers. The awards ceremony and concert are the absolute highlight of the music programme during the festival. Special guests are acknowledged for their lifelong contributions to the film music industry and youngsters can win prizes that bring their career to the next level.
An overview of the World Soundtrack Awards
- SABAM Award for Best Original Composition by a Young Composer
- Best Original Score for a Belgian Production
- Discovery of the Year
- Television Composer of the Year
- Film Composer of the Year
- Public Choice Award
- Best Original Song
- Lifetime Achievement Award
The winners of the World Soundtrack Awards are announced during a festive evening that also includes live film music in concert, performed by the Brussels Philharmonic and conducted by Dirk Brossé. The live performances are accompanied by film fragments on three big screens. As the cherry on the cake, the guests of honour often play parts of their composition together with the orchestra or conduct one of their pieces themselves.
The livestreamed ceremony and concert WSA2020, with music from amongst others Alexandre Desplat, Gabriel Yared and Michael Abels, is completely free of charge and can be followed from the comfort of your sofa, on the 24th of October, from 8 pm CET onwards, on our website www.filmfestival.be and www.worldsoundtrackawards.com
WSA Concerts Overview
- Gabriel Yared and Elmer Bernstein Live in Ghent (2001)
- Fenton-Delerue: A Film Music Celebration (2002)
- Patrick Doyle meets Hooverphonic (2003)
- Elmer Bernstein, David Raksin, Michael Kamen, Wim Mertens (2004)
- Rachel Portman, Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, Raymond van het Groenewoud and Gustavo Santaolalla (2005)
- John Powell, Michael Giacchino, Peer Raben, Piet Goddaer (Ozark Henry) (2006)
- Mychael Danna, Evanthia Reboutsika, Harry Gregson-Williams (2007)
- Angelo Badalamenti, Dario Marianelli, Daniel Tarrab, Andrés Goldstein (2008)
- Brussels Philharmonic conducted by Alexandre Desplat, Marvin Hamlisch & Dirk Brossé (2009)
- Howard Shore, Elliot Goldenthal, Gabriel Yared, Gustavo Santaolalla, Stephen Warbeck, Angelo Badalamenti, Craig Armstrong, Alberto Iglesias, Bruno Coulais, Frédéric Devreese, Nico Muhly (2010)
- Elliot Goldenthal, Howard Shore, Hans Zimmer (2011)
- James Newton Howard (2012)
- Alexandre Desplat (2013)
- Cliff Martinez (2014)
- Alan Silvestri (2015)
- Ryuichi Sakamoto, Jeff Beal, Jeff Russo, Sean Callery, Daniel Pemberton (2016)
- David Shire, Terence Blanchard & Joe Kraemer (2017)
- Carter Burwell, Philippe Sarde, Nicholas Britell (2018)
- Marco Beltrami, Tamar-kali, Frédéric Devreese, Krzysztof Penderecki (2019)
World Soundtrack Awards
Within the framework of the upcoming World Soundtrack Awards, Film Fest Gent will host a full concert dedicated to Marco Beltrami’s film work. Besides Beltrami, the 19th World Soundtrack Academy honours Krzysztof Penderecki with the Lifetime Achievement Award and pays tribute…
Within the framework of the upcoming World Soundtrack Awards, Film Fest Gent will host the very first concert dedicated to Carter Burwell’s film work. Brussels Philharmonic, conducted by Dirk Brossé, will perform his original scores accompanied by film clips on the big screen.
Film Fest Gent annually organises the World Soundtrack Awards, the most prestigious soundtrack awards in the world. The best composers of film music are honoured and receive international recognition for their work in Ghent every year. The 16th edition of…
Held on October 24th, the World Soundtrack Awards will celebrate its 15th anniversary with one of the most brilliant film composers of his generation, known for his scores of ‘Back to the Future’, ‘Who Framed Roger Rabbit’ and ‘Forrest Gump’.…
The 14th World Soundtrack Awards Ceremony & Concert takes place on 25 October 2014 at Kuipke Ghent. Film Fest Gent proudly welcomes Cliff Martinez, American composer and former drummer of the rock band Red Hot Chili Peppers, to the traditional…