Panel Talks & Masterclasses
Our annual WSA industry programme consists of several panels and masterclasses, bringing together the film music community for interesting conversations and to discuss hot topics related to composing for screen.
Music and Sound Design in Games
By Alex Otterlei - Wed. 20/10 - 13:00 - Kinepolis 8
Alex Otterlei pioneered the art of writing soundtracks for role-playing games, to international acclaim. As a composer and sound designer, he worked on games such as Xyanide and the Divinity series. He is currently teaching Sound Design, Foley and Voice Directing for Games, as part of the Audio Major which he helped create at Digital Arts and Entertainment in Kortrijk. In this masterclass, he will delve deeper into the importance of composing music for games and the task of a sound designer in a game studio.
Entering the Film Music Marketplace
By Lesley Jackson - Thu. 21/10 - 13:30 - Kinepolis 8
Lesley Jackson established UK Film Music following many years representing prominent composers. In this masterclass, she will share some tips and tricks on how to enter the film music market as a beginning film composer.
Everything in Minor - How a Business Frustrates Its Creatives
By Stephan Eicke - Thu. 21/10 - 15:30 - Kinepolis 8
Editor and producer Stephan Eicke has noticed how film, TV and game composers have started to voice their concerns about their working conditions. In his masterclass, he will discuss the increased pressure on composers.
Rights & Royalties in Game Music
Moderator: Youri Loedts (VAF) - Wed. 20/10 - 14:00 - Kinepolis 8
The collaboration between game developers and composers doesn’t always run smoothly. In this panel talk our guests will examine some current practices and different kinds of contracts, share their experiences with remuneration and search for a way to strengthen the ties between composers and developers.
Guests: Ruben De Gheselle, Nathalie Álvarez Mesén & Marie-Hélène Dozo - Fri. 22/10 - 13:15 - Kinepolis 8
Composer Ruben De Gheselle, film editor Marie-Hélène Dozo and director Nathalie Álvarez Mesén talk about their new film, Clara Sola, which will be screened at Film Fest Gent.
Standing out as an artist in the contemporary film music industry
Sat. 23/10 - 14:30 - Opera Gent
Panel talks with WSA nominees Carlos Rafael Rivera (The Queen's Gambit), Emile Mosseri (Minari), Benji Merrison (SAS: Red Notice), Florencia Di Concilio (Calamity, une enfance de Martha Jane Cannary) and Gavin Brivik (Wild Indian).
Past Panel Talks & Masterclasses
- Exclusively for the WSA, five-time winner of the Film Composer of the Year Award Alexandre Desplat sat down with Matt Mueller of Screen International to talk about his many creative collaborations.
- For the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the World Soundtrack Awards, FFG music director Dirk Brossé spoke with guest of honour Alexandre Desplat and Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Gabriel Yared about how they approach composing for screen, their writing process and where they get their inspiration from.
- To discuss the issue of diversity in composing for screen, the WSA has recorded an online panel talk on Composer Diversity. Michael Abels (2019 Discovery of the Year), Lolita Ritmanis (2020 WSA nominee for Public Choice) and WSAcademy members Diego Baldenweg with Nora Baldenweg & Lionel Baldenweg and Nainita Desai get into an interesting conversation, moderated by Milena Fessmann.
- Showcase by SPITFIRE AUDIO
- Introduction on IMMERSIVE SOUND by Auro Technologies
- 'Who's Who in the International Film (music) Industry' by Lucy Bright (MUSIC SALES)
- Masterclass 'Orchestration & building your own sound ID' by composer Florencia di Concilio
- 'What's publicity and how should one take advantage of it?' by publicist Chandler Poling (WHITE BEAR PR)
- Panel discussion about ‘The Reality of Rejected Scores’ with Robert Townson (Varèse Sarabande), moderated by Vasco Hexel
- A conversation on 'The Craft of Music Supervision' in association with the UK & European Guild of Music Supervisors with music supervisors Amelia Hartley (Peaky Blinders & Black Mirror), Catherine Grieves (You Were Never Really Here; London Spy; Les Misérables) and Lucy Bright (Assassin's Creed; Marjorie Prime), moderated by Air Edel's Maggie Rodford
- A masterclass on ‘Scoring for New (interactive) Media’ with amongst others video game composers Joe Henson & Alexis Smith aka 'The Flight' (Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey) and Brian D'Oliveira (Resident Evil 7 & Shadow of the Tomb Raider) moderated by François-Xavier Dupas from the Music Faculty at the Montreal University
- A panel on the ‘Work Flow between filmmaker, composer and editor' with Alain Dessauvage (editor Girl & Bullhead) moderated by musician Oliver Patrice Weder