Internationaal Filmfestival van Vlaanderen vzw (hereafter called: “Film Fest Gent”) is committed to protecting your privacy. We will use the information that we collect about you in accordance with the Belgian Data Protection Act, including the General Data Protection Regulation which goes into effect on May 25, 2018.
Internationaal Filmfestival van Vlaanderen vzw
Film Fest Gent - Privacy Department
What information do we collect?
The personal information that we could collect from you, includes:
- Name, title, date of birth and gender
- Contact details including postal address, email, phone number(s)
- Transaction history
- Access requirements (for example if you have a disability that requires wheelchair access, audio description, or any other access requirement)
- Details of visits to our website including traffic data, location data, demographic data, operating system, browser usage, and the resources that you access
- in photographs and videos we use for promotional purposes
- We use personal access badges with (passport) photo for the press, (film) professionals and certain subscription packages
- Other background personal information you provide to us (for example when you apply for a job, tell us your story or correspond with us).
How do we collect your information?
INFORMATION OBTAINED DIRECTLY THROUGH YOU
- When you sign up for one of our events
- When you sign up for our newsletter
- When you participate in a competition
- When you submit a film, score or other artistic work for the festival
- When you buy a ticket
- When you make a purchase from our shop
- When you update your preferences on our website
- When you apply for a job
- When you register with us as a professional or as press
- When you communicate with us in any other way
We keep a record of the emails we send you, and we may track whether you receive or open them, so we can make sure we are sending you the most relevant information. We may then track any subsequent actions online, such as buying a ticket.
INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH EXTERNAL SOURCES
We may also receive information from other or external sources which enables us to gain a better understanding of our audiences, visitors and supporters and to improve our communication and marketing methods. These sources include:
What are pixel tags or web beacons?
This is a web technology aimed to help the website analyse how users use the site. The collected data is held anonymous, and can also include your IP address or your Facebook ID. The purpose is providing visitors with the most relevant advertising on the website.
These cookies we deem strictly necessary to the working of the website, thus they cannot be refused. After your visit to our website, they are deleted automatically, except for the cookie in which any preferences are stored.
These cookies store your personal preferences (e.g. your choice of language) and website activity, for the purpose of giving you a more personalized browsing experience. In addition, they analyse and evaluate your use of the website to improve your online experience.
Cookies, pixel tags, web beacons or plugins from third parties
Film Fest Gent collaborates with third parties to provide certain content and features. This concerns YouTube videos, Facebook links, Twitter links or plug-ins to this and other social media. For example, we use the AddThis plugin to share articles from our website easily.
Through these cookies, pixel tags, web beacons or plugins, Film Fest Gent may use certain collected data to display targeted advertising on our website, third party websites or social media.
Third party organisations
Your information may be shared with us by our ticketing software Ticketmatic, but only when you have indicated that you give your consent to hear from us.
When we organize an event as a co-production with one (or more) third parties, personal data can be shared in function of the practical organization of the event.
Depending on your settings and the privacy policies used by social media and messaging services like Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter, we may receive non-personally identifying demographic or analytical information from these services that enables us to better understand the reach and effectiveness of our advertising.
Information available publicly
This may include information found on publicly available websites, your biography on your work website or information that has been published in articles/ newspapers. We can use contact information found in online (and publicly available) directories in case of emergencies, but will never store this information or use it for marketing purposes.
Professionally used contact information found in a public source, such as the contact page of your organization's website, can be used to provide information about certain activities (only if there is a clear connection and/or possible collaboration between the organization and Film Fest Gent's aforementioned activities). You can ask us not to receive these e-mails at any time.
Our basis for processing your personal information and what we use it for
We aim to be clear when we collect your data and not to do anything you wouldn’t reasonably expect.
We may process your personal data in the following cases:
- Because it is necessary for the performance of a contract. For example, if you make a purchase, sign up for an event or participated in a contest, we will have to use your data to deliver this purchase or prize to you.
- Because it is in our legitimate interests to do so. For example, we may use your personal information to better understand your interests, to conduct research on potential visitors, to tailor our communications to you and/or to give you an exceptional experience at our events. We may also collect information about how you use our services (including our website) to analyse our customer base and improve our processes. Film Fest Gent also records and uses film, photographs and audio for promotional purposes on its website, social media accounts and other formats under its legitimate interests basis for processing where it would not be necessary, appropriate or practicable to obtain your specific consent (for example, we may seek specific consent for prominent or impactful uses, but typically not for group shots, background inclusion or internal use).
We may also process your personal data (including sensitive personal data) where:
- It is necessary for medical purposes (for example, in a medical emergency)
- It is necessary to protect your or another person’s vital interests
- We have your consent to do so (for example to monitor the diversity of visitors to Film Fest Gent). We will also ask for your consent to provide you with information about products, services and fundraising activities which may be of interest to you (apart from where it is appropriate for us to rely on our legitimate interests to do so).
Giving you control
We may tell you about events, concerts, shop offers, priority booking and information about our site (for example at the opening of our festival area, the start of our ticket presale, the announcement of new events and programme updates, or updates on building works on site, etc.). Occasionally, we may include information in these communications from partner organisations or organisations who support us. We make it easy for you to tell us how you want to hear from us: every email sent to you will tell you how to do this, but you can also inform our Ticket Office team over the phone or in person - you can thus opt out from these marketing communications at any time.
If you have opted out of marketing communications, we may still get in touch with you. For example, we may email you to give you important information about the events you’ve booked or to tell you about any changes. This communication is strictly informative and only aimed to provide our customers with our best services.
We may need to disclose your details:
If we run an event in partnership with another named organisation so that they can help us run the event
- When you have participated in a contest with which you have won prizes from a third party and these prizes need to be delivered to you
- In order to comply with any legal obligation to do so. This includes the police and other crime protection and detection agencies or regulatory bodies
- To our legal advisors
- For the purposes of regulatory or inspection compliance
- Data processing services acting in an accordance with our instructions, and subject to confidentiality obligations
- Occasionally, we sell tickets on behalf of other organisations. If you buy a ticket from Film Fest Gent for any other organisation, your name, contact details and record of the tickets you have bought will be visible to that organisation. In this case, the organisation is the Data Controller and Film Fest Gent acts as Data Processor.
How we keep your details safe and secure
We have taken appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect personal data against unlawful processing:
- All persons and organizations that can access your data on behalf of Film Fest Gent are obliged to maintain their confidentiality,
- We have an internally documented password policy and control access on all our systems
- We test and evaluate our measures regularly
- Our employees have been informed about the importance of the protection of personal data
Your personal data will be held and processed on Film Fest Gent’s systems or systems managed by suppliers on behalf of Film Fest Gent.
We maintain a contract with ticketing and marketing software Ticketmatic to hold contact details and a record of your interactions with Film Fest Gent such as ticket purchases, donations, memberships, queries, complaints and attendance at special events. Where possible we aim to keep a single record for each customer.
We always seek to hold your data securely. Access to customer information is strictly controlled. The Ticketmatic system can only be accessed by people who need it to do their job.
Online application forms
For several professional purposes (such as press and industry applications) we use online application forms. For more info on our website server and data processor: see below (Combell and Lavagraphics respectively).
Our integrated services
The Film Fest Gent Servers – Yaska
Our local server and computers are protected with personal passwords and access control, for which we maintain an internally documented policy. Remote access to the network and server is only possible via VPN.
This website is managed by Internationaal Filmfestival van Vlaanderen vzw.
Lavagraphics is our web builder and designer, and processes the data entered on our website. We have concluded a data processing agreement with Lavagraphics, in accordance with the European legislation.
Our web servers are hosted by Combell. Combell clarifies its privacy measures online.
Lesterius en FileMaker Pro
The Film Fest Gent web shop is located on the e-commerce platform Shopify. Shopify clarifies its privacy measures online in their Data Processing Addendum.
How long do we keep your information?
We may retain your data for a period of seven years after your relationship with us has ended. Some information can be stored indefinitely for historical, statistical or research purposes. As mentioned below, you have the right to ask us to remove your personal data from our databases.
You also have the right to object to the processing of (a part of) your personal data by us or by a data processor. You have the right of portability of your personal data to you or to another party on your demand. We may ask you to prove your identity before responding to the aforementioned requests. Always keep in mind that the above rights are not absolute, and that we may have the right to refuse requests when exceptions apply.
Last updated on June 7, 2018